[Digikam-users] Bad experience with "Open with"

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 07:39:27 BST 2015

>> I usually select several pictures from a Digikam album and right-click to
>> open them in Darktable. However, this evening, I released the mouse button
>> at the wrong place and Digikam tried to launch 30 new instances (one per
>> selected picture)... To make it short, I got I don't know how many
>> "Impossible de créer des tables dans la base de données" messages, my
>> system got completely stuck and it took me ages to close each Digikam
>> window, and relaunch everything properly.
>>
>> Questions:
>>  - wouldn't it be possible to deactivate the "Open with Digikam" in
>> Digikam?
>>

> Not directly in settings.

Is there some logic to allow opening a picture with Digikam when you
already are in Digikam?

>>  - why is Digikam launching an instance for each picture (fortunately I
>> had only selected 30...); when I use "Open with Darktable" all the pictures
>> open in the same Darktable instance, whether it is running yet or not.
>>

> It ask to KDE desktop settings which top application is assigned to type
> mime to open (RAW file in this case).

Is it possible to remove Digikam from this KDE settings? And will it change
anything "inside" Digikam if I do so.

> digiKam pass the list of files to open to the application.
>
> To solve the problem : the settings is certainly wrong into desktop to
> open more than one file to Darktable. An opion is perhaps missing to get
> the instance of application to open all files.

It is OK to open several files at once, provided each application does it
its own (right) way:
 - for Gimp, Showfoto, etc. that don't include a file manager, one instance
per file is fine
 - for Darktable, the current behaviour is fine too: the application is
launched only if there is no running instance, and pictures are imported if
they are not yet in the application database.
 - for Digikam, it doesn't work as one instance is launched for every
picture selected, all of them intending to use the same
collections/database as the original and that simply cannot work; more over
when the opening is requested from inside Digikam! That's why I would like
to prevent this happening some other time.

Marie-Noëlle

> Gilles Caulier

*Les calendriers 2015 sont disponibles sur le site lulu.com :*
<http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/mnaugendre>

[image:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/marie-no%C3%ABlle-augendre/calendrier-aubrac-2015/calendar/product-21867668.html]
<http://www.lulu.com/shop/marie-no%C3%ABlle-augendre/calendrier-aubrac-2015/calendar/product-21867668.html>[image: