[Digikam-users] Bad experience with "Open with"

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 21:48:44 BST 2015

> I usually select several pictures from a Digikam album and right-click to
> open them in Darktable. However, this evening, I released the mouse button
> at the wrong place and Digikam tried to launch 30 new instances (one per
> selected picture)... To make it short, I got I don't know how many
> "Impossible de créer des tables dans la base de données" messages, my
> system got completely stuck and it took me ages to close each Digikam
> window, and relaunch everything properly.
>
> Questions:
>  - wouldn't it be possible to deactivate the "Open with Digikam" in
> Digikam?

Not directly in settings.

>  - why is Digikam launching an instance for each picture (fortunately I
> had only selected 30...); when I use "Open with Darktable" all the pictures
> open in the same Darktable instance, whether it is running yet or not.

It ask to KDE desktop settings which top application is assigned to type
mime to open (RAW file in this case).

digiKam pass the list of files to open to the application.

To solve the problem : the settings is certainly wrong into desktop to open
more than one file to Darktable. An opion is perhaps missing to get the
instance of application to open all files.