[Digikam-users] Digital Asset Management (DAM) question: final formats, meta data and so on

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Mon Sep 29 00:15:47 BST 2014

Axel,

You can group images. Select both, right-mouse-click and select group.

Although both images stay in their respective directories, DK shows them
grouped under the image you first selected.

Cheers Simon

On 29/09/14 00:17, Axel Klein wrote:
> [...]
>> of pictures and delete the others. Afterwards, I tag all photos and rate
>> the best shots. To the really best photos I apply some improving editing
>> operations.
>>
>> With my old camera, I shot jpeg pictures only. With my new camera I shot
>> in jpeg+raw mode and I learned a lot about processing raw with digikam.
>> In some situations I got more satisfactory results from manual raw
>> processing. But this should be not the point writing about here. Instead
>> I would like to ask all of you shooting also jpeg+raw, how do you manage
>> the two file types in digikam.
>>
>> Do you store jpeg and raw files in the same album or do you have
>> sub-albums for the raw files, for example?
>> I have all files (of a particular "project" or holiday) in one album and
>> use a filter to switch between jpeg and raw files.
>>
>> Do you tag jpeg as well as raw files? Or do you tag only the jpeg files?
>> But when you derive a new jpeg from a raw file, you have to copy the
>> tags from the original jpeg (which the camera processed) to the new
>> jpeg. (By the way: provides digikam a function to copy all tags from one
>> image to another?) Up to now, I don't have a good strategy, how to
>> handle this aspect.
>>
>> It would be nice to hear some thoughts and strategies how you handle
>> jpeg+raw files.
>>
>> Bests,
>> Jan
>>
>> On 23.09.2014 11:25, Anders Kamf wrote:
>>> This is my workflow.
>>>
>>>   -I work mainly with private photos, e.g. from family events and so
>>> on. I handle photos from several cameras and from smart phones
>>> together. I put a timestamp (from metadata) in the filename so they
>>> are displayed in chronological order, even when viewed in a file browser.
>>>   -Since I no longer have time for post processing, I use only JPEG -
>>> even for photos from my DSLR cameras.
>>>   -I want the information to travel with the picture, i.e. I store all
>>> as metadata in the files.
>>>   -I use rating to make a selection of pictures from each event, rather
>>> than saying "rating 5 is a really good picture".
>>>

>>> 1. Transfer photos from cameras, together with rename and setting
>>> rating to 2, with a bash script to ~/photos/edit/YYYY/YYMMDD_EVENT,
>>> naming: YYYYMMDD-HHMM_CAMERAID_ORGFILENAME
>>> 2. Manual backup of ~/photos/edit/ to external disc using rsync
>>> 3. Sort pictures using the rating and rating filter - viewing 2 stars
>>> and above:
>>>     a) Bad pictures gets rating 1 (I delete them all later on)
>>>     b) Good pictures, but not duplicates, gets rating 3
>>>     c) Change filter to 3 stars and above. If there are too many of
>>> rating 3, fine tune by set the best ones to rating 4. Continue to
>>> rating 5 if needed.
>>> 4. Tag the finest selection with tag Selection-1, the next finest with
>>> Selection-2 and so on. This way the finest selection from an event is
>>> always tagged Selection-1, no matter if the finest rating has reached
>>> 5. Occasionally, do some manual editing like crop
>>> 6. Apply additional tags
>>> 7. Move from edit directory to ~photos/album/YYYY/, which has
>>> automated backup with rsnapshot
>>>
>>> I put a small JPEG-file in each directory (with the initial script)
>>> and use it to keep track of my workflow progress for that directory
>>> and for information/notes that goes for the whole directory. This is
>>> my way to store metadata for a folder.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Anders

>>>      Le 21/09/2014 21:01, Gilles Caulier a ?crit :
>>>
>>>          To resume : my free time is very precious, and i won't to
>>>          waste time
>>>          with post processing on computer.
>>>

>>>      same as you.
>>>
>>>      but the problem is probably most a question of number.
>>>
>>>      I have to shoot many images and can't afford to post edit them
>>>      (apart basics like resize).
>>>
>>>      I know people that shoot only a handfull of images and spend many
>>>      time refining them, of course in raw. It was the same with roll
>>>      film...
>>>
>>>      no problem, simply not my use
>>>
>>>      jdd
>>>
>>>      --
>>>      http://www.dodin.org

Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides