[Digikam-users] Digital Asset Management (DAM) question: final formats, meta data and so on

Axel Klein nospamforaxel-1 at yahoo.de
Sun Sep 28 15:17:50 BST 2014

Hi *,

I shoot jpeg and raw. Here is my flow:

-Import and rename (yy_mm_<original filename>) with Digikam to a
directory of the year.
-Rate: No star: to be deleted, 1 star: kept for documentation, 2 stars:
good for publishing on the web, 3 stars: good for print-out, 4 stars:
the very good ones.
-Tag: -Year (e.g. 2014), -Event (e.g. 14_09_Bike_Ride_with_Julia),
potentially -Location (e.g. At home), People (e.g. Hans, Julia, ...)
-Move the raws to a different directory on another disk, directory of
the year.

----
At this step I would really like to have a way to mark the raw file as a
version of the jpeg!!
The reason is I could keep track of raws much easier as they would be
connected in digikam to the jpeg.
Is that possible?
If not, may that be implemented?
----

-Create two versions of each jpegs with at least two stars:
  - 1024 for picture frame
  - 1920 for web publishing and albums
 and store them in two different
 directories:
  Pictureframe/<Year>
  ScreenResolution/<Year>

-For web-publishing create a directory
  - e.g. Albums/14_09_Bike_Ride_with_Julia
 and copy jpegs with 1920 resolution into it.
-In case publish album-directory.
-Of course: Backup all the directories often!

For now I process practically only jpegs. As long as the space is enough
on the "raw-disk" I also copy them as described.
And now, for e.g. deleting all pictures with no star later, I would love
that the raw-files are connected to the jpegs in digikam. So I could
delete also the respective raws when deleting the jpegs in one shot.
The same holds true also for any processing or change in rating, tags,
and so on.

Is there any chance to get that functionality?
Thank you in advance for your answer.

Best regards
Axel