[Digikam-users] managing collections, was: very fancy behavior etc.

Boudewijn Kranendonk wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 14:08:55 BST 2014

On Sunday 21 September 2014 8:31:37 Remco Viƫtor wrote:
> On Saturday 20 September 2014 20:54:44 Martin Kaspar wrote:
> > (funny - i postet this bug one week ago - but no body was aware of it)
> Oh, I at least was aware of it...
"Me too" ; I'm always happy to read a new message on the list and see if I can
be of any help. Mostly my version of DK is way to old  (2.6) to give a lot of
useful input.

> > i noticed a funny & fancy thing  - i cannot (!!!) view files & folders on
> > the suse-linux. this is really a serious thing - is it a bug or a
> > feature.
> Digikam is not a file browser, but a manager/editor for a photo collection.
> Which means you have to tell it where to find your images. This is a
> feature. And you have been told this before.
In my experience the album list more or less represents the folders that are
found under the top folder(s).

> > to begin with the beginning: (...)
> > i wonder if i can see images that are not (!!) in a album!?
> > Why am i not able to do so?
> > all i can see are images that are associated to an album;
> That's the way Digikam is designed => not a bug.
I don't really understand the question. Imagine this directory layout:
/home/boudewijn/photos/
/home/boudewijn/photos/2000-2004
/home/boudewijn/photos/2005-2010
/home/boudewijn/photos/2010-2015
each with several subdirectories.

Now if I define /home/boudewijn/photos as the root album in Digikam
(settings/collections/local collections), I will have a list of albums more or
less:
My albums
- photos ()
  + 2000-2004 (zzz)
  + 2005-2010 (yyy)
  -  2010-2015 (xxx)
     + christmas'13 (142)
     + holiday'11 (42)
     + holiday'12 (232)
     + xmas'14 (0)

Right clicking each of those entries and clicking "open in file browser" opens
my filebrowser in the given directory.
On my elderly DK2.6 installation, right clicking "My Albums" and selecting
"open in file browser" opens root of my system.

I can imagine that when I enter non-local collections or more than one
collection, that not every entry in the album list directly matches a real
directory on my system.

> > why cant i open images in the document root of my opensuse version 13.1?
> > if i try to open an Album with the dolphin - i get back the result:
> > Cannot open the root. It is not a physical location.
> > WHY IS THIS SO!? Digikam version 3.5: Cannot open the root. It is not a
> > physical location.
> Details about your set-up (like what directory/album you want to access)
> would help an interested party to figure out what goes wrong (if anything
> goes wrong, which I doubt). And screaming at us won't work, it annoys.
Agreed :-)

Best regards,

Boudewijn