[Digikam-users] Searching images on usb disks

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 06:32:27 BST 2014

I use 2 external USB disks, but they are plugged in when I work with
Digikam.
I have huge response time problems when updating tags and other attributes,
though (see my other post on the subject), but I don't think this is
related.

Marie-Noëlle

> Hello,
>
> Well, I'm somewhat surprised that my question didn't raise any
> answers, even negative ones.
> Surprised because I couldn't imagine to be the only person to
> have images on several usb disks...
> I have probably to take it that it's not possible to organize
> images not on the local disk. Sad for me :-(
>
> Saluti,
> Marina
>

> Il 2014-09-05 22:01 Marina Ciatta ha scritto:
>
>  Hello,
>>
>> I am new to digikam, and to this list too :)
>> Actually, I am being trying digikam for a future project.
>> Briefly, the idea is to build a database for a large amount of
>> images, images being stored on several usb disks (typically
>> from 15 to 20).
>> What is expected is to be able to search the database on keywords
>> and technical hints on images. No images edition is necessary.
>>
>> I did tests with 4 usb disks, plugging them one after the other
>> and declaring new collection on removable media, then scanning
>> for new images. All worked perfectly fine (though a bit long).
>>
>> Problems come when I do some search tries, with some keywords
>> I known they exist in many images. Nothing appears in the
>> search results. Or, more precisely, only images belonging to the
>> last scanned disk, still plugged, appear; not the others.
>>
>> This is a bit surprising for me, as after reading digikam docs
>> I thought all the indexing data, keywords, tags et al., was stored
>> in a database local to my computer.
>> I am aware that without a disk plugged, the image itself cannot be
>> accessed nor edited, but shouldn't it appear at least in the search
>> results icons views ?
>>
>> How can I do that ? Did I misunderstand something ?
>> Did I do something wrong ? Did I missed something, an option ?
>> Help and hints would be warmly appreciated, thanks in advance.
>>
>> Saluti,
>> Marina
>>

> --
> - CIATTA M.
> - BOLZANO
> - Ognuno ha il suo rametto di pazzia

*"de l'Aigoual à l'Aubrac, voyage photographique en Cévennes et Lozère"*
est paru :

<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com/sujet/boutique/>
[image: http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com/sujet/boutique/]
<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com/sujet/boutique/>