[Digikam-users] Workflow with gimp

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Thu Jan 2 17:30:32 GMT 2014

Hi Marie-noëlle,

Thanks for your input :)

On Torsdag den 2. januar 2014 18:23:52, Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:
> Why don't you try Darktable? You won't need Gimp anymore, as the new stable
> version comes with mask drawing, so I don't know what for you would need
> any other editing program.

I actually installed darktable the other day, to see the tethering support it has. I tried it for
importing RAWs a long time ago, but it seems to have changed quite a bit since then.

I'll give it a go, and see what I can do with it. I'm looking for masked adjustment layers,
maybe darktable does a bit like adobe lightroom and provides brush and graduated filter
layers? I

> As for pictures and metadata management, it's up to you to see if darktable
> can do everything you need, or whether you'll keep Digikam for that (my
> choice).

I'll see. I am not likely to let go of digikam, I used it since very long, and have always been
very happy with it, now more than ever, with thumbs support during import and other
niceness!

> Marie-Noëlle
>

> 2014/1/2 Anders Lund <anders at alweb.dk>
>
> >  Hi list,
> >
> > I'm reaching a point where digikams internal editor is not enough for me
> > to do the postprocessing I want to.
> >

> > I will have to use gimp or other to do additional work once in a while.
> >

> > So do you have tips on a good workflow for that?
> >

> > I will probably do the raw conversion using digikams editor, and global
> > adjustments, but after that I will need an external application, so
> >

> > - which fileformat is best? png, tif, jpeg?
> >
> > - concerns about metadata?
> >

> > Any help appreciated!
> >

> > --
> >
> > Anders