[Digikam-users] Workflow with gimp

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 18:38:23 GMT 2014

2014/1/2 Anders Lund <anders at alweb.dk>

>  Hi Marie-noëlle,
>

> Thanks for your input :)
>

> On Torsdag den 2. januar 2014 18:23:52, Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:
>
> > Why don't you try Darktable? You won't need Gimp anymore, as the new
> stable
>
> > version comes with mask drawing, so I don't know what for you would need
>
> > any other editing program.
>

> I actually installed darktable the other day, to see the tethering support
> it has. I tried it for importing RAWs a long time ago, but it seems to have
> changed quite a bit since then.

It has changed a lot, and in the good direction!
I'm still waiting for the 1.4 version that is not yet in Fedora repos, but
even the previous version is very good, though it still lacks the drawing
masks.
The manual has also been completed/rewritten, and does a very good job to
get you started with that UI that is not ... very conventional! See there:
http://www.darktable.org/2014/01/user-manual-updated/

> I'll give it a go, and see what I can do with it. I'm looking for masked
> adjustment layers, maybe darktable does a bit like adobe lightroom and
> provides brush and graduated filter layers? I

I've never used Lightroom (having given up on Windows several years ago)
but more and more testimonies come that say that darktable is now
equivalent or even better than LR.

> As for pictures and metadata management, it's up to you to see if
> darktable > can do everything you need, or whether you'll keep Digikam for
> that (my > choice).   I'll see. I am not likely to let go of digikam, I
> used it since very long, and have always been very happy with it, now more
> than ever, with thumbs support during import and other niceness!
>
> I only use darktable for developping RAWs that I export as 'master'
pictures in TIFF or JPEG format, and do everything else with Digikam.

Marie-Noëlle

--
<http://marie-noelle-augendre.com/photos/>
Retrouvez mon portfolio et mes activités dans ma galerie