[Digikam-users] Digikam 4.0 won't run on Linux Mint 17.1: vanishes after album scan

Tom Rank tom at literaryconnections.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 22:59:29 GMT 2014

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I completed the initial set up, Digikam
appeared to start, and seemed to be scanning the albums - but only for a
second or two, then the program vanished - no Digikam workspace, no icon
on the task bar, etc. So I take that to be a crash, even though it
doesn't open the error reporting window (as version 3.5 used to give me).

As a temporary measure, I decided to set up Shotwell: it took about 8
hours to scan and 'import' all my images. I don't expect Digikam to take
so long, but 2 or 3 seconds doesn't seem right, especially when it
doesn't then display anything.

I did try to load libsqlite3-0 version 3.8.6 on Ubuntu 14.04: that gave
me various warnings about incompatible programs - and didn't seem to
work with Digikam. I tried an upgrade to Ubuntu 14.10 - but that caused
me a significant graphics problem with my hardware, so I went for Linux
Mint 17.1, which had no such problem. It's based on Ubuntu 14.04, but
loads the more recent Digikam 4.0.0. I'll see if I can get a more recent
version of Digikam and libsqlite3-0 running and report back - I realise
now how much I'm missing Digikam!

Tom

Tom Rank | tom at literaryconnections.co.uk | 01457 850966
www.literaryconnections.co.uk | http://twitter.com/literaryconnect