[Digikam-users] Copying ratings/tags/etc from JPEG to parallel RAW file

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sat Apr 26 09:49:13 BST 2014

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 09:11:49AM +0200, Photonoxx wrote:
> Le Sat, 26 Apr 2014 01:40:43 +0200, Daniel P. Berrange
> <dan at berrange.com> a écrit:
>

> >I've tried doing this by going via XMP sidecars. eg
> >
> > 1. Tools -> Maintainence -> Sync database to metadata
> > 2. Use script to copy xmp:Rating from JPEG XMP file to the NEF XMP file
> > 3. Tools -> Maintainence -> Sync metadata to database
> >
> >This seems to work, but digikam sure is slow at writing the XMP and also
> >at loading them back in later. It'll take it a real long time to do this
> >for all the images in my collection.
> >
> >Are there any other more effective ways to sync the metadata from JPEGs
> >to the correspondingly named NEFs across the entire collection ? I have
> >thought about perhaps writing a script to munge the mysql database
> >directly, but that has high risk of calamity :-)
> >

> What do you mean by "Slow to write XMP" ? For using NEF only and at
> the beginning, when XMP didn't exist yet, I'm used to write metadata
> in the RAW file, and I can say it takes still more time than writing
> XMP.

I mean that the 'Tools -> Maintainence -> Sync database to metadata'
task and the reverse, take a long time - judging by the speed todo
it for one small album, it is going to take many hours to do it
across the entire collection.

> What you have to keep in mind, is it take a long time the first time
> you do this, but after that, when RAW files get their XMP sync with
> Digikam Database, it should be almost like before when you use JPEG
> for metadata.

Yep, understood - I'm just wondering if there was a way to do the
conversion step a bit quicker :-)

Regards,
Daniel