[Digikam-users] certain Gimp xcf files cause showFoto to crash

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 16:25:01 BST 2013

On 9/21/13, Jean-François Rabasse <jf at e-artefact.eu> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Sep 2013, Elle Stone wrote:

> But your problem comes from the xcf files, not Gimp itself.
> What could be interesting is to know if the xcf format changed.
> You are a Gimp user, you probably have « old » xcf files produced with
> earlier versions of Gimp, e.g. 2.8.

Sadly, no. Prior to Gimp 2.9 I used Gimp very little, mostly for
preparing jpegs for the web.

I was wondering whether anyone had similar issues with xcf files
created with older versions of Gimp (2.6, 2.8). It sounds like the
answer is no, at least based on your experiences.

Just speculating wildly, it could be that KDE expects xcf files to be
8-bit files and so crashes because the Gimp 2.9 xcf files are 32-bit
floating point (other bit depth xcf files are possible, but why? just
export to the bit depth you want).

Best,
Elle