[Digikam-users] certain Gimp xcf files cause showFoto to crash

Jean-François Rabasse jf at e-artefact.eu
Sat Sep 21 16:01:29 BST 2013

Hi Elle,

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013, Elle Stone wrote:

> I'm using Gimp 2.9 from git, which is why I haven't filed a bug
> report. When Gimp 3.0 is released perhaps would be a good time to file
> a bug report if the problem still persists. Or at least closer to
> release, if/when a tentative release date is available.

Apologies, I read you a bit too fast, thought you we're using 2.8
I use latest 2.8.4 and have no experience with dev releases.

But your problem comes from the xcf files, not Gimp itself.
What could be interesting is to know if the xcf format changed.
You are a Gimp user, you probably have « old » xcf files produced with
earlier versions of Gimp, e.g. 2.8.
Do you observe the same issue with Digikam when opening 2.8 created
Gimp files ?
(Or, can you open correctly old xcf files with your 2.9 dev version ?)

I mean if the xcf format is stable, and Gimp processes correctly files
with 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, etc. versions, it's not sure that a Digikam problem
could be filed on gimp-bugs, they'll probably reply « Ou Gimp works
well with our file format »
(With my 2.8 I still open without problems very old xcf files created
with Gimp 1.2, 1.3)

Regards,
Jean-François