[Digikam-users] Sluggish use experience with external server and wifi?

eric e.longuemare at laposte.net
Fri Sep 20 08:28:51 BST 2013

Hello,
Le vendredi 20 septembre 2013 à 01:56 +0300, Take a écrit :
> On 09/19/2013 10:20 PM, eric wrote:
> > Should you connect your laptop to LAN via ethernet (10/100 or gigabit ?)
> > and see if you have the same problem ?
>
> Sorry, I obviously should've stated this in inital post. I connected my
> laptop to ethernet (gigabit) and it's smooth(ish) all the way over
> copper link. The interface is a bit more sluggish than on my workstation
> but I'm assuming that's due to GPU (intel mobile vs. nvidia gt630).

I think wifi is not a good solution for big data over network : drop
packets .. fluctuation, and crypting is cpu, time ... consuming. If you
want only to look at pictures, it's ok, but for tagging ... not.

second point : I think you should have the same digikam on both laptop
and workstation : they is some change in database schema between 2.x.x
and 3.x.x, so it's must be one of the problem, right ?

Third point : As I'm not using samba shares but mounting the NAS with
CIFS, I don't know if using samba is a problem. But cifs mounting in
fstab is more convenient and seem to be faster. That's only my
experience and point of view.

Greatings,

Eric