[Digikam-users] Digikam on windows not reading and displaying tags consistently, ,

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Wed Sep 4 05:38:52 BST 2013

On 04/09/13 12:26, Johan van Noooten wrote:
> Hello, I'm running digiKam 3.2.0 on two Windows 7 computers. On one of
> them, a laptop, it works fine. On the other, my desktop with the 27 inch
> monitor I want to view photos on, I have a problem. It is inconsistent
> about displaying the tags I have given the pictures if they were added
> before I installed digiKam on the computer. For some pictures, it reads
> them. Others, it doesn't. There seems to be no pattern I can detect
> which would explain the difference. The pictures in some folders have no
> tags displayed unless I added them afterwards using digiKam. Other
> folders have some of the older tags displayed, but not all or even most
> of them. If a photo has any of the older tags displayed, it has them
> all.  I know the missing tags are there because I can see the tags using
> windows explorer and right clicking for "properties" etc. Any
> suggestions as to how to fix this? Thanks in advance

Not all packages add tags correctly.

I would make a collection of files that have metadata and don't then
inspect them with exiftools. If you can see all the data try using this
tool to extract and reinsert the data in your test files (ensure you
keep the originals separate).

Once you do this then see if digiKam can see and displays the data. If
it does use exiftools to extract and insert all the photos -- directory
by directory.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/ (Windows GUI Version)

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides