[Digikam-users] Greetings

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Sep 2 11:13:20 BST 2013

On Monday 02 September 2013 01:38:32 cgw993 at aol.com wrote:
(lots of stuff about Digikam spying, w/o a shred of proof)
> cgw993 at aol.com

I couldn't find any trace of Digikam opening an internet connection. But I
have all KIPI plugins related to internet storage/publishing disabled.

Also, how did you see that Digikam opened /internet/ connections? A bit of
information so others can check seems the minimum.

Using netstat I did find a series of /unix sockets/ opened by Digikam (10 or
so) but those are typically used for inter-process communication. They were
NOT /internet/ connections. Indeed, 'netstat --inet' did not show ANY
connections involving Digikam. To see what netstat does, use Google or 'man
inet'.

Also, concluding from the presence of connections that data is /send out/
by Digikam is a bit fast, and an accusation that needs *proof*, not just
an unsubstantiated  'I saw some internet connections involving DK, thus DK
is data mining my photos'. When accusing, a minimum is disclosing the
methods you used to collect your data.

Wrt. your point 2, about navigation: Digikam supposes you have your images
in directory trees. Just specify each of those trees as a collection.

Personally, I wouldn't want Digikam to dig all over my hard disk to decide
which directories to index, nor is there any reason (for me) to go out of
my image collection from within Digikam...

Remco