[Digikam-users] editing with Color Management enabled is very slow?

Erik Felthauser efelthauser at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 00:59:50 GMT 2013

Hi Marcel,
Thanks for your response. See my comments interspersed:

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>wrote:

> Digikam's color management was written when there was no KDE-wide support,
> no
> support in KWin or the graphics stack. It reads the monitor profile from
> the
> old-style XAtom, but then the internal configuration option will be greyed
> out.

Not sure what you mean by "internal config option will be greyed out"...No
option in digiKam is greyed out for me...

> I suspect double correction if you set the profile in both places.

Then, do you know: If I turn off CM in digiKam, does digiKam show pics with
corrected colors for monitor, thanks to KDE color manager?
Also, I shoot in sRGB, so I guess it is not a worry about the working
space?? But for someone shooting AdobeRGB, then they DO need to use digiKam
internal CM, right, to ensure conversion for working space?

> digikam uses lcms and computes color correction on the CPU. I have a weaker
> machine and experience only very short delays if I set a monitor profile
> other
> the sRGB. It probably scales linearly with image size. I do not know if
> your

own monitor profile is very cost intensive to use, you could try another for
> testing.

Is your "other profile" a custom one? I noticed that the non-custom
profiles that appear in my /home/erik/.local/share/icc/ are about 1KB only.
However, the one I created with ColorHug is 24KB. Perhaps it is TOO "High
Quality". Maybe I can make a lesser-quality one, that requires less CPU?
I do know that if I use the default manufacturer one (don't know where it
came from -- maybe ColorHug live CD or digiKam downloaded it?), which is
only about 1KB, it is less slow, but still not great. Takes maybe half as
long compared to custom profile.
I guess I may try to run ColorHug again, but it sounds like I am not the
only one with the problem...

> Just to be sure, you turn and off CM in digikam and experience the
> differences, while system CM is constantly turned on?

That is correct.