[Digikam-users] Importing several folders from the same card

Jean-François Rabasse jf at e-artefact.eu
Fri Jul 26 08:28:44 BST 2013

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013, Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:

> Do you know wether there is any setting to change this beahviour? I didn't
> find anything in the menus.

Marie-Noëlle,

>From what I know about PTP transfert, I think this is not possible.
(And it's not a Digikam issue.)

PTP has been designed to transfert ImagesObjects, from a camera to a
computer, and the images organisation on the camera memory storage
(the DCIM structure) is to be opaque to PTP clients.

Seems that the only way to « see » a possible subdirectories structure
is to use a filesystem oriented procedure such as a USB mount using
a USB SDCard reader.
That way, you'll be able to make a copy (cp -r, or rsync) that honours
your SH card substructure.

Jean-François

PS: the above has been true for years, but I must confess I don't use
PTP anymore because it doesn't work with my current camera.
(It works, but loading say 150 images from a SD card takes about 30
minutes, compared to a 30 seconds copy from a USB reader. So...)
Perhaps recent versions of PTP may have added subdirectories support
but I'm not sure.