[Digikam-users] some questions about digikam metadata, DB and simultaneous use

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Feb 18 11:47:57 GMT 2013

Marco, I have not followed the discussion on this topic, but in general
the answer is not very positive.

One needs to provide for the possibility that two people cannot edit the
same picture at the same moment. In order to deal with simultaneous
access, some sophisticated software is required an I am not sure whether
this is high on the Digikam agenda at the moment. I know of no
photographic editing software that allows this at present. In general,
when a database is used by a user, it is locked for other users. This is
very important to avoid corruption of the data in the database. The
changes that are required for simultaneous access are not trivial,
especially with a complex program such as Digikam, because the dangers
of corruption of the folders and images are so immense. It is much
better to be careful and safe than to lose information because you
edited data in opposition to another user accessing the same files at
the same time. So the fast solution is, let your wife do her editing
after you have completed yours.

Normally, not all data can be sived in the EXIF block inside an image.
The EXIF spec makes provision only for certain types of information to
be saved. Additional informaion, outside of EXIF data, are normally
stored in sidecar files in XMP or similar format. Departing from the
EXIF standard and including other data within the image will make it
impossible for photographic software to read the EXIF data from your
images. In Linux, look at the program exiv2 to see what is possible
within the EXIF spec.

Kind regards,
Willem Ferguson