[Digikam-users] Digikam XMP schema ?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Feb 17 12:55:55 GMT 2013

Am 17.02.2013 11:56, schrieb Jean-François Rabasse:

> For large operations (folders reorganisation, rereading metadata for many
> images, etc.) it's slow and I also happened to have problems, crashes or
> so. Not to be nervous, I took the habit to do that on a copy of database,
> and I/O access to the SQLite file can be enhanced when using a ramdisk.
> Linux supports that very well, so :
>  - backup /.../digikam4.db to ... digikam3.db.backup
>  - copy the file to ramdisk, /dev/shm/digikam4.db
>  - start DK with option : --database-directory /dev/shm
>  - work...
>  - when all is ok, satisfying results, no corruptions, no crashes, copy
>    the ramdisk file back to original place /.../digikam4.db
>    (Before shutting down the computer:-)
> In case of problem, just forget, nothing is lost.

The main problem with this: you have to do to much by hand. While this
is no problem for me, it is for my other users.

I have a simmilar setup but automated. I use shared computers so it is
more general - I copy my home folder from server to client at login and
back to the server at logout. Most clients use SSDs, so shared memory is
not that much faster. The server has a daily backup, so the risk to
crash my DB and loose everything is low.

The shared system is the reason I still use sqlite. Wireless clients
sometimes loose the connection (so digikam will fail with a centralized
DB server). An I want to use digikam with the local photos without even
been connected to my network.

Martin