[Digikam-users] Transferring images with XMP sidecar files

Christoph Siedentop christoph at siedentop.name
Sun Feb 3 18:14:17 GMT 2013

data from the xmp file into the image. I think it simpler.

First, Digikam appends the name .xmp after the .jpg. We'll change
that. Put the following in a file and run as a script:

for f in *.jpg.xmp; do
  mv "$f" "${f/.jpg/}"
done

Secondly, insert the data into the image:
exiv2 insert -i X *
So, this does insert (obviously), -i X means, use xmp. * means run on
all images in the folder.

No need to manually change the xmp files.

I hope this helps at least one person.

Regards,
Christoph

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Graham Dicker <graham.dicker at antecor.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 Feb 2013 16:19:51 Jean-François Rabasse wrote:
>>
>> Back to your problem. If DK can't read back its sidecar files,
>> the solution could be to move metadata into the images files.
>> Phil Harvey's exiftool can do such things but it's not
>> straightforward at all. Here are some guidelines :
>
> I was using the sidecar files because most of my photos are in a proprietary
> raw format and I was unwilling to risk Digikam messing them up.
>
> Thank you for your offer of help but I think I can extract the captions from
> the old database and then transfer to another product, even if I have to write
> it myself (I don't need anything complicated, just reliable).
>
> Thanks again
>
> Graham Dicker

Christoph Siedentop
0176-399-422-45