[Digikam-users] Advices for a new cpu + mobo + ram - probably Off Topic

ultimateclem ultimateclem at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 11:07:28 BST 2013

Hi,

I'm a long term user of digikam, and using it for professional purpose. I
need to make a new computer. Some of you may help me choosing the mother
board, the cpu and the ram ?

I decided to keep hard drives (internal sata, external usb2 and usb3) and
video card (MSI GT630 with 4Gb ram) from my old computer and to change the
box + power, mobo + cpu + ram. I already bought a 480W power supply, and a
ATX box with extra fans.

System : kubuntu last version, digikam last version, rawtherapee last
version, gimp 2.8. No 3D, no game, only web and music playing but that does
not count. About 250€/300$ the kit...

What brand of mobo ? Which cpu ? I thought amd FX 8-cores was a good
compromise, but i'm not sure. What is the difference between 970, 990X and
990FX chipsets ?

My last computer was a 6Gb ram, and i never ran out of memory. I thing 8Gb
is ok for this new comp. But dual-channel or not, that is the question...

Thanks for your advices. Merci Gilles et toute l'équipe pour ce fabuleux
logiciel !