[Digikam-users] reuse database on new install?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 19:24:58 BST 2013

2013/4/6 Daniel Bauer <linux at daniel-bauer.com>

> Hello,
>
> due to a disk crash I had to reinstall my system. Now I have new digikam
> 3.0 (before 2.9) and the image files reside in another folder (before
> ~/fotos/digikam, now ~/disk2/digikam.
>
> Can I reuse digikam4.db (70 MB) and thumbnails-digikam.db (1.5 GB) somehow?

Both files can be reused, but in DB, the UUID of old disk is registered to
identify media where collections are stored. When you will restart digiKam,
it will ask where collection are stored because media will be not found.
This will patch DB UUID registration.

I recently managed a similar problem when i moved my collection of 3Tb HDD
to an external LVM of 12Tb connected by eSata to my computer. Here of
course digiKam 3.x is used.

I not sure if this feature is implemented is old releases. Probably Marcel
can provide more details about.