[Digikam-users] Which on line photo repositories work well with DigiKam?

brad bkn at ithryn.net
Fri Sep 7 14:54:13 BST 2012

On Wednesday, September 05, 2012 09:28:02 AM Simon Cropper wrote:

> I am looking for an on-line solution to publish my photographs (e.g.
> Smug Mug, Red Bubble or maybe my own store using Coppermine or Gallery).

As fas as i can tell smug mug would be the best option for digikam integration
and on-line store and commercial use.

I feel this is probably a common concern w/ digikam users. It would be nice to
hear the experience of others. The ultimate goal would to order prints w/o
having to leave digikam.

I don't *think* coppermine has any integration w/ digikam, and Gallery
integration is seriously lacking at the moment since Gallery has had a major
change in their protocol. I have been working on getting this to work better
w/ digikam, but i don't have a lot of time to dedicate. Eitherway, neither of
those services offer an on-line store (since you have to host yourself).  I
also tried piwigo.com that uses the piwgo hosting software, which is free OSS,
but i wasn't very impressed w/ login system running in the clear (i.e. over
insecure http). Lastly, i have used picasa, which has nice integration w/
digikam, however i already feel google has enough of my information w/o
photos.

> Several things come to mind...
> 1) preferred file format and colour profile
> 2) ability to recognize metadata, like title and tags/keywords
> 3) whether varying sized images need to be uploaded separately or the
> on-line store creates the various sizes available for purchase
> 4) Commercial exposure? Anyone had success measured in sales in using
> particular companies
>
>From your list of wants above, it sounds like smug mug is your best bet. I
haven't tried its integration w/ digikam so i cannot comment on that. I
believe they offer a free trial so you can try it out before paying. I thought
about using their service, but the cost/year isn't worth it for me, yet; as i
am not a pro nor even a decent amateur.

Personally, i have used other on-line print services, e.g. mpix (btw i'm in
the states, location may be a factor if you intend on ordering prints on-
line).

Good luck and cheers,
 -- brad