[Digikam-users] splitting images folder howto: different partition/archives

Julien T julien.t43 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:01:02 GMT 2012

Hello,

As I try to improve the storage of my Images (>100k images/more than 1TB)
and to easily switch computers to do my workflow (most notably if I can
have something faster than my netbook), I moved my Images folder from ext4
to fat32 partition.
As a result there was a big degradation of performance, most notably
digikam takes 20 to 30 min to open and always do a long folder analysis at
start whatever if there is new images or not. was less than 5min on ext4.
It does not seem to change a big thing if the DB (both digikam4 and
thumbnails) are on fat32 or ext4.
I have a big Images folder but I'm in a long time travel and take a lot of
photos.
On usage, performance impact seems acceptable while browsing, slower while
writing lot of metadata.

As a way to improve thing, I'm asking myself to split my images (local
collection on ext disk with a symlink to ~/Images) between an archives ext4
partition where things would be stalled or almost and the "current working
last months" (3 for example). The distribution would be:
* internal disk: Images (current as local), ext4
* external disk: Images (backup/shared, sync w rsync or unisson, not used
by netbook digikam, else removable collection), fat32
* external disk: ImagesArchives (removable collection), ext4

I need to get another hard disk as intermediate but else, in order for
digikam to keep things well, I have to move files/folder inside digikam.
Or just do the move in terminal and let digikam rescan (metadata are
written to file) ? but would probably take ages on my netbook so if I can
avoid.

If possible, I also want to say that there is no need to scan the
"Archives" disk for new things but I'm not sure it is possible.

Thanks a lot.
Cheers,

Julien