[Digikam-users] How to use versioning?

Johnny yggdrasil at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jun 16 12:12:25 BST 2012

Daniel Bauer <linux at daniel-bauer.com> writes:

>> I really do think that 'Save as new version' is a confusing label and it
>> is not intuitive as to its purpose until it is explained, although I
>> have trouble thinking up a better one. Perhaps 'Save as separate instance'.
>
> My proposal therefore would be something like *"start new versioning
> tree"* or the like.
>
> A phrase that is not used in other known contexts for other purposes
> and therefore would make the user curious: what is this? He'd
> investigate using the very complete help functions or just try it out
> and think about what's happening...

For this purpose, wouldn't "Branch image" be suitable, as this is
exactly what is happening and a well defined VCS term? Maybe some users
will not directly understand it, but as mentioned the help text would
put them on track. As a bonus, it will lead them to VCS tutorials in
googling. :)

Another option could be "Clone image" which is more intuitive (but this
usage is not universal; e.g. a "clone" in inkscape is linked to it's
master and depend on it's properties - a change in the master is
reflected directly in the clone)

--
Johnny