[Digikam-users] How to use versioning?

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Sat Jun 16 09:05:44 BST 2012

Am 16.06.2012 00:07, schrieb Andrew Goodbody:
> I have not tried versioning or grouping myself yet but I have found out
> from this list that 'Save as new version' is badly labelled and does not
> do what you seem to think it does. If you have versioning enabled then
> just choose 'Save'. This will update the image with a new entry in the
> image history. When versioning is enabled it is not possible to make a
> change without it being recorded in the image history. 'Save as new
> version' creates a new instance of the image that has its own change
> history which is separate from the original.
>
> I really do think that 'Save as new version' is a confusing label and it
> is not intuitive as to its purpose until it is explained, although I
> have trouble thinking up a better one. Perhaps 'Save as separate instance'.
>
> Andrew

I was one of these who were confused... and understood it only after
explanations here.

However I must confess that the included help texts are very clear and
say it all, one just has to look at it :-)

I guess, using an "uncommon phrase" could maybe lead more people to
search the help. "Save as new version" is  (for me) something common and
I understand it just as "save as". If it does not do what I expected I
think its an error of the program and not of my misunderstanding...

My proposal therefore would be something like *"start new versioning
tree"* or the like.

A phrase that is not used in other known contexts for other purposes and
therefore would make the user curious: what is this? He'd investigate
using the very complete help functions or just try it out and think
about what's happening...

-------

To once again use the occasion:
Thanks digikam team for this fantastic tool and the huge work behind it!

Of course such a rich application can never be "error-free" and "perfect
for everybody". But I use it every day for my professional work (with
versioning disabled) and it's unique way to work is just the best I have
ever found. (I also have a Mac and what that offers in this kind of
image tools is just poor compared to digikam).

regards

Daniel

personal facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mars.fotografo
google+: https://plus.google.com/109534388657020287386