[Digikam-users] How to use versioning?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sun Jun 17 11:29:43 BST 2012

> For this purpose, wouldn't "Branch image" be suitable, as this is
> exactly what is happening and a well defined VCS term? Maybe some users
> will not directly understand it, but as mentioned the help text would
> put them on track. As a bonus, it will lead them to VCS tutorials in
> googling. :)

We decided against this for this very reason: we cant expect our users to be
familiar with our development tools and the way software developers think.
In the C++ code, the thing is called a branch, and it's implemented as a
directed acyclic graph just as git uses it but that doesnt help users for whom
a branch is something to be found in the wood.

> Another option could be "Clone image" which is more intuitive (but this
> usage is not universal; e.g. a "clone" in inkscape is linked to it's
> master and depend on it's properties - a change in the master is
> reflected directly in the clone)

"Clone" is an interesting metaphor. But I fear it can be confused with Clone
Tools as an image editing operations (which we dont have in digikam, or rather
have it in the form of unfinished code.)