[Digikam-users] digikam does not read all xmp metadata

Jan Köster koester_jan at gmx.net
Tue Jun 12 16:25:45 BST 2012

Am Montag, den 11.06.2012, 23:43 +0200 schrieb Gilles Caulier:

> Ahaha. welcome in interroperability world with closed source program.
>
> I implemented LR tags support (reading and writing). The proof :
>
> READ :
>
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/repository/revisions/master/entry/libs/dmetadata/dmetadata.cpp#L1138
>
> WRITE :
>
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/repository/revisions/master/entry/libs/dmetadata/dmetadata.cpp#L1208
>
> If LR has changed something in XMP tags naming, well, how to know...
> It's closed source after all...

I know these problems only to well. However: the tags have been written
by Bibble5 which definitly didn't change the way of writing tags over
the last years. As an example, this is a nested tag stored in
filename.NEF.xmp:
<lr:hierachicalSubject>
  <rdf:Bag>
    <rdf:li>Eigenschaften|Ausrichtung|Hochformat</rdf:li>
  </rdf:Bag>
</<lr:hierachicalSubject>
And this is how digikam stores the same tag given in dk:
<digiKam:TagsList>
    <rdf:Seq>
     <rdf:li>Eigenschaften/Ausrichtung/Hochformat</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Seq>
   </digiKam:TagsList>
[...] and also:
   <lr:hierarchicalSubject>
    <rdf:Bag>
     <rdf:li>Eigenschaften|Ausrichtung|Hochformat</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Bag>
   </lr:hierarchicalSubject>

This looks pretty much the same to me.
Both are stored within <rdf:Description> only the file headers are a
little different. But I don't think this causes the problem as digikam
can read other information from these files.
Before I start writing a script that transforms all the xmp files so
digikam can manage the metadata I would like to investigate if this
behaviour is normal and intended. Just how?