[Digikam-users] Sidecar files and Digikam

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Jun 11 17:40:57 BST 2012

Am Montag, den 11.06.2012, 17:43 +0200 schrieb Marie-Noëlle Augendre:

> XMP sidecar files are specific to each application. There is no way
> one can read the .xmp file written by another program.
>
> Marie-Noëlle
| Well yes. But as far as I've understood that's the reason why there are
| namespaces. And Bibble5, Corel Aftershot, Adobe Lightroom and Adobe
| Bridge can understand these files. I'm not talking about information on
| editing. It's totally clear that this will not work. But it should be
| possible to read keywords, shouldn't it?

Dear Dk enthusiasts,

Is there not a strong case to be made for Dk reading the XMP files for at least some of the other sofware? Compatibility with some of the major image processing software packages, e.g. Darktable and Adobe would increase the usefulness of Dk and draw many more users to use Dk. Granted, Dk is KDE-based and (at least the 2 mentioned above) are not. But I cannot see that this could be a major problem???

Kind regards,
Willem Ferguson