[Digikam-users] digikam does not read all xmp metadata

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 22:43:40 BST 2012

2012/6/11 Jan Köster <koester_jan at gmx.net>:
> Am Montag, den 11.06.2012, 18:17 +0200 schrieb Jan Köster:
>> Am Montag, den 11.06.2012, 17:43 +0200 schrieb Marie-Noëlle Augendre:
>> > XMP sidecar files are specific to each application. There is no way
>> > one can read the .xmp file written by another program.
>> >
>> > Marie-Noëlle
>>
>> Well yes. But as far as I've understood that's the reason why there are
>> namespaces. And Bibble5, Corel Aftershot, Adobe Lightroom and Adobe
>> Bridge can understand these files. I'm not talking about information on
>> editing. It's totally clear that this will not work. But it should be
>> possible to read keywords, shouldn't it?
>
> I just did a test how digikam is writing metadata to xmp-sidecar files.
> Besides other formats keywords/tags are stored in the lightroom syntax.
> So digikam can write metadata in "lightroom-style" but not read it? This
> doesn't make sense to me.

Ahaha. welcome in interroperability world with closed source program.

I implemented LR tags support (reading and writing). The proof :

READ :

https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/repository/revisions/master/entry/libs/dmetadata/dmetadata.cpp#L1138

WRITE :

https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/repository/revisions/master/entry/libs/dmetadata/dmetadata.cpp#L1208

If LR has changed something in XMP tags naming, well, how to know...
It's closed source after all...