[Digikam-users] Sidecar files and Digikam

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 18:22:21 BST 2012

On 11/06/12 17:40, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Dear Dk enthusiasts,
>
> Is there not a strong case to be made for Dk reading the XMP files for
> at least some of the other sofware? Compatibility with some of the major
> image processing software packages, e.g. Darktable and Adobe would
> increase the usefulness of Dk and draw many more users to use Dk.
> Granted, Dk is KDE-based and (at least the 2 mentioned above) are not.
> But I cannot see that this could be a major problem???
>
> Kind regards,
> Willem Ferguson

The use of an application specific namespace in xmp sidecar files is a
huge nuisance. The ability to read other applications data where
appropriate seems a must to me. Writing data in a format that could be
read by as many other applications as possible is merely highly
desireable. Using a unique namespace just because everyone else does is
just exacerbating the problem and is not to be encouraged.

Andrew