[Digikam-users] What GPS data should be written to a master file so Digikam will recognise it?

Iain Wood public at soulflyer.co.uk
Mon Jun 4 14:15:39 BST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to transfer GPS data from my current photo management s/w (Aperture) to make it useable by Digikam. I can get the data into the master files by a combination of applescript and exiftool, and it becomes visible in Digikam in the metadata panel. However it doesn't appear on the map or the geolocation tab.
I know it is possible to do this, as pictures exported from Aperture do appear correctly in the metadata and geoloction tabs or on the map. Unfortunately this only works for exported versions. Exported masters don't appear in the metadata and geolocation tabs or the Map...

A close examination of the exif data from the different types of file doesn't show me why the one works correctly and the other doesn't. In fact the relevant parts of the exif data appear to be identical.

Here is a typical exiftool command I use:

exiftool -gps:GPSLongitudeRef=E -gps:GPSLongitude=109.3008 -xmp:GPSLongitude=109.3008W  -gps:GPSLatitudeRef=N -gps:GPSLatitude=12.17259 -xmp:GPSLatitude=12.17259N   '/Volumes/BlackBook/Users/iain/Pictures/Photos/2012/05/23-corrupt-card/Soulflyer2.JPG'

and the relevant part of the exif data:

$: exiftool Soulflyer2.JPG | grep GPS
GPS Version ID                  : 2.3.0.0
GPS Map Datum                   : WGS-84
GPS Latitude                    : 12 deg 10' 21.32" N
GPS Latitude Ref                : North
GPS Longitude                   : 109 deg 18' 2.88" E
GPS Longitude Ref               : West
GPS Position                    : 12 deg 10' 21.32" N, 109 deg 18' 2.88" E
$:

Does any one know what is required in the exif gps data to make it recognisable to Digikam?

Iain