[Digikam-users] What GPS data should be written to a master file so Digikam will recognise it?

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 4 16:46:13 BST 2012

Hello Iain,

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012, Iain Wood wrote:

> I know it is possible to do this, as pictures exported from Aperture do
> appear correctly in the metadata and geoloction tabs or on the map.
> Unfortunately this only works for exported versions. Exported masters don't
> appear in the metadata and geolocation tabs or the Map...

I'm not sure to know what you call "exported versions" vs. "exported
masters"...

But, I geotag pictures from command line, using exiftool too.
(For me, the reason is silly but my Digikam version has a broken geolocation
dialog that can't use Google maps. And I need Google maps, so no other way
than copy/paste coordinates between a web browser window and a command line
tool.)

My script uses exiftool and sets the following :
  -gps:GPSLatitude=... -gps:GPSLatitudeRef=North
  -gps:GPSLongitude=... -gps:GPSLongitudeRef=East
  -gps:GPSMapDatum=WGS-84

I added the MapDatum (though WGS-84 should be implicit) because with only
coordinates and coordinates refs, it didn't seem to work. Perhaps you
should try...

And images tagged that way are valid under DK, and appear on the map folder.
But after tag, I need to select images and issue a « Reread metadata from
images ».

Don't know if this could help you in your case, but I can assert geotagging
with exiftool works.

Regards,
Jean-François

PS: here is my script
--
#!/bin/bash
# Set GPS position

# Arguments
# ---------
GTAG=$1
shift
if test ! -f "$1"
then
     echo "Usage: $0 <position> <file> ..." >&2
     exit 1
fi

# Split Gmaps position
# --------------------
GLAT=`echo $GTAG | sed 's/,.*$//'`
GLON=`echo $GTAG | sed 's/^.*,//'`

# Update files
while test -f "$1"
do
     exiftool -gps:GPSLatitude=${GLAT} -gps:GPSLongitude=${GLON} \
         -gps:GPSLatitudeRef=North -gps:GPSLongitudeRef=East \
         -gps:GPSMapDatum=WGS-84 \
         -overwrite_original $1
     shift
done