[Digikam-users] help for beginner -- archives, forum, albums

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 19:20:01 BST 2012

On 24/07/12 18:46, Sveinn í Felli wrote:
>> I am looking for info on how albums are maintained and how
>> to manage them. I do not only want to create them, but to
>> remove, e.g., a given disk directory collection WITHOUT
>> deleting all the pictures.
>
> I think it's always been the general consensus that 'Albums' is just a
> pseudonym for real directories/folders. Many of us are using all kinds
> of other software and scripts to deal with our images, so any
> database/virtual storage pointers are a no-go.

There is an old wishlist item in the bug database asking for just what
John has just asked for ie the ability to have certain directories and
their contents not appear in digikam. I do not see that this is such a
bad thing nor such a hard thing to implement but it does not happen. It
does not require virtual storage pointers, just a filter. For those who
do not want it, simply do not use it, no problem.
This is a request that comes up every so often so I would question the
'general consensus', I for one do not agree with it.

Andrew