[Digikam-users] help for beginner -- archives, forum, albums

Sveinn í Felli sveinki at nett.is
Tue Jul 24 20:19:08 BST 2012

Þann þri 24.júl 2012 18:20, skrifaði Andrew Goodbody:
> On 24/07/12 18:46, Sveinn í Felli wrote:
>>> I am looking for info on how albums are maintained and how
>>> to manage them. I do not only want to create them, but to
>>> remove, e.g., a given disk directory collection WITHOUT
>>> deleting all the pictures.
>>
>> I think it's always been the general consensus that
>> 'Albums' is just a
>> pseudonym for real directories/folders. Many of us are
>> using all kinds
>> of other software and scripts to deal with our images, so any
>> database/virtual storage pointers are a no-go.
>
> There is an old wishlist item in the bug database asking for
> just what John has just asked for ie the ability to have
> certain directories and their contents not appear in
> digikam. I do not see that this is such a bad thing nor such
> a hard thing to implement but it does not happen. It does
> not require virtual storage pointers, just a filter. For
> those who do not want it, simply do not use it, no problem.
> This is a request that comes up every so often so I would
> question the 'general consensus', I for one do not agree
> with it.
>
> Andrew

Totally agree, I'd like to be able to select which
subfolders of the album root would be included; sort of what
AmaroK does for its music library.
And while in digiKam one can define which additional
mimetypes should be included, I think one cannot exclude
others fx. based on filename prefix/suffix. Probably some
people would be happy to exclude tn_[filename].[extension]
from digiKam.

What I was referring to was the way some apps I've seen
using underdocumented tricks and tools for mimicking
'rolls', 'date-sequences' and other stuff via bunch of
hidden files and database pointers.

Meaning; how I understand the 'general consensus' (gathered
from mailinglist discussions over the years) is roughly:
"Don't touch my files or data structure unless told to do so".

Regards,
Sveinn