[Digikam-users] ICC file for Ricoh GXR

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Fri Jul 20 08:49:18 BST 2012

Am 19.07.2012 23:21, schrieb Marie-Noëlle Augendre:
> Question is why exactly do you want a ICC profile for your camera? It's
> only useful for very specific usages (and I'm not even able to say
> which...) Once you've transfered your RAW files to your computer, you're
> going to use your computer screen and may be a printer to work on them;
> those are the very first devices you need to calibrate, and those you'll
> need ICC profiles for.

A profiled camera is required if you have to produce the exact same
colour of an object under different lights (outside in bright sunlight
or in the shadow of a tree or in your studio) with different lenses and
different cameras. This requires an exact white balance setup and a
colour profiling.

As an example: If you want to document the change of colour of a subject
you have to make sure that the colour in your photo has a reference (the
ICC profile and the base target you used for profiling).

But If you see photograph as an art and your personal way of seeing
things profiling is wast of time. It is wast of time if you don't use a
exact profiled monitor (and with this I mean monitors in the 2000€
range) an profiled working environment (lights around your monitor) and
a profiled printer.

IMHO the first step is to profile your monitor and use labs using
profiled printers (and share their printer profile). Profiling your
monitor is not that expensive (about 100€ - 200€). For this you have to
use at least a monitor with IPS or VA panel and about 95% match of sRGB
gamut.

Yust my thoughts
Martin