[Digikam-users] Grouping pictures, how does it work?

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jul 15 07:22:06 BST 2012

On Saturday 14 July 2012 22:47:10 Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:
> As I have often several versions of the same pictures (typically one RAW, 1
> to 3 TIFF, and several JPEG), I would like to use the grouping
> functionality in order to display only one version in the main window
> display.

> When I group several pictures, I don't know how I can define the picture
> that will remain visible.

The last picture that is selected will be at the top of the stack,
and thus remain visible.

> Is there a quicker way than right-click to group several pictures?
Left-click first, Shift-Left-click last to select a continuous range, Then
rigth-click to apply the grouping?

> What happens if I want to add one more picture to a group?
Selecting the picture to add, and the top image of the group to add it to,
then use 'group here' seems to work, and leaves the same image as top of the
stack. If you select the group first, and then the image to add, the last one
becomes visible.

> Is there a way to apply the same tags/title/caption to all the pictures of
> the same group?
You can temporarily open a group by clicking on the 'grouped' icon...
Adding a tag to the top of a group and clicking 'Apply to all versions'
seemed to hang, btw..
I find it rarely a problem though, as I (usually..) add tags and captions
before editing.

> How are the filters applied, especially the file types?
Only the visible files of a group seem to be considered. I.e. if I filter for
RAW files, only those not hidden in a ('closed') group are visible. Images in
an 'opened' group are visible and will be visible in a filtered view. Also,
note that only the top image of a group has a visible mark in the thumbnail
view, others in a group are unmarked.

> Should all the pictures of one group belong to the same album?
It looks like you can group images across albums, the group shows up in the
album of the last selected image (the one shown); the other images don't show
up any more in their albums

> Those are the first questions that come to mind for the beginning.
>
> Thanks for your answers,
> Marie-Noëlle

You're welcome, but it appears to me that a number of these are easy enough to
test... These answers are valid under Linux for the git version of Digikam
(now marked as version 2.8.0, released 2012/08/05 ;) )

Remco