[Digikam-users] Grouping pictures, how does it work?

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 09:55:13 BST 2012

Thanks for your answer.

2012/7/15 Remco Viëtor <remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr>

> **
>

> > Is there a way to apply the same tags/title/caption to all the pictures
> of
>
> > the same group?
>
> You can temporarily open a group by clicking on the 'grouped' icon...
>
> Adding a tag to the top of a group and clicking 'Apply to all versions'
>
> seemed to hang, btw..
>
> I find it rarely a problem though, as I (usually..) add tags and captions
> before editing.

I create TIFF from RAW with other programs, thus any metadata I could have
added previously on the RAW file are not copied to the TIFF, nor to the
subsequent JPEG.

> > How are the filters applied, especially the file types?
>
> Only the visible files of a group seem to be considered. I.e. if I filter
> for
>
> RAW files, only those not hidden in a ('closed') group are visible. Images
> in an 'opened' group are visible and will be visible in a filtered view.
> Also, note that only the top image of a group has a visible mark in the
> thumbnail view, others in a group are unmarked.

As I don't see any display option to "open all groups"/"close all groups",
I understand the filter won't work on the whole collections unless I open
each group ... am I right? For me, it'll be a caveat big enough to prevent
me to use this functionality.

> > Should all the pictures of one group belong to the same album?
>
> It looks like you can group images across albums, the group shows up in
> the album of the last selected image (the one shown); the other images
> don't show up any more in their albums

... and the filter won't "re-discover" them if I understood correctly the
previous point.

> > Those are the first questions that come to mind for the beginning.
>

> > Thanks for your answers,
>
> > Marie-Noëlle
>

> You're welcome, but it appears to me that a number of these are easy
> enough to test... These answers are valid under Linux for the git version
> of Digikam (now marked as version 2.8.0, released 2012/08/05 ;) )

I understand your point. But I had very big problems a couple of
versions/months ago: Digikam wouldn't ever recognize some pictures that
have been grouped, whatever I tried; and I had to delete records manually
from the database in order to make some of them reappear.
So I'd rather avoid such a situation, and ask questions before to those who
already have had some experiments on the matter.

Marie-Noëlle

--
<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com/photos/>

Mes dernières photos sont dans ma
galerie<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com/photos/>
.
Retrouvez-moi aussi sur mon blog <http://www.mnaugendre.com/>.
Et parcourez les Cévennes à ma façon avec Cévennes
Plurielles<http://www.cevennes-plurielles.com/>,