[Digikam-users] RAW editing

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 21 12:06:48 GMT 2012

On Saturday 21 January 2012 11:29:06 Martin wrote:
> Am 21.01.2012 11:10, schrieb Anders Lund:
> > On Lørdag den 21. januar 2012, gerlos wrote:
> [...]
>
> > That is absolutely right. But I don't see darktable doing a better job
> > than digikam, albeit a different one. So far, I see darktable images
> > being a bit more saturated/vivid than the preview, while digikam goes a
> > bit the other way. (I use a canon EOS 30D)
>
> For me the main difference here is that darktable does a constant job.
> If I have a series of pictures the results are predictable (more than
> with digikams raw processing). Esp. if you enables some of the automatic
> tools the results are sometimes very good but sometimes next to useless.
> And then it is very hard to get a pleasing result with digikam's
> available settings.

What settings do you use for the raw import (from 'settings', then 'Raw
decoding tab')? I tell it to always use the last option: 'Always open the Raw
Import tool...'). This, like other tools, keeps the settings from the previous
use.

And, click the 'Update' button after a change to apply the changes. Don't use
the 'Use default' button, as it applies the defaults defined in the settings
dialog, and imports straight away.

And I agree that raw decoding seems slow in Digikam, compared to e.g.
darktable; otoh, once you have a good preview, importing it is virtually
instantanuous.

Also, don't forget that Digikam's RAW import tool is exactly that, RAW import.
This means that a lot of the processing that is done on the developed image is
NOT in the RAW import tool (sharpening, saturation, local contrast etc.). From
what I've seen, darktable and others don't have this sharp separation between
RAW development and editing. So, what you think of as RAW development in
darktable is RAW development + editing in DK...