[Digikam-users] RAW editing

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sat Jan 21 10:10:54 GMT 2012

On Lørdag den 21. januar 2012, gerlos wrote:
> Il giorno 20/gen/2012, alle ore 23.33, Anders Lund ha scritto:
> > On Fredag den 20. januar 2012, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> >
> > Presets would be nice, but I don't understand the desire to make it look
> > like the preview jpeg in the raw file - that is very often suboptimal!
>
> Some times you are so good at photography that you get almost perfect
> images right out of your camera, and open your RAW image just to change
> the exposition to +0.3 EV and to give a little tweak to white balance. So
> matching again ("from zero") white balance, exposition etc in Digikam
> would be a lot of duplicate work, since you're supposed to already do it
> in your camera at the moment of the shot.
>
> So, yeah, I agree, at start my RAW picture *should* look like my JPEG,
> since is what I know I've shot, it's my starting point and it's what I
> want to tweak most of the time (exception for me: night photography).
>
> Good defaults that make *initially* look the RAW like the JPEG would be
> very welcome, imho (it's also what other software -Aperture, Lightroom-
> actually do, for what it matters).

That is absolutely right. But I don't see darktable doing a better job than
digikam, albeit a different one. So far, I see darktable images being a bit
more saturated/vivid than the preview, while digikam goes a bit the other way.
(I use a canon EOS 30D)

The problem must relate to knowing how the camera jpeg is created, maybe that
knowledge is part of what you pay for using a commercial tool?

--
Anders