[Digikam-users] RAW editing

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Fri Jan 20 23:16:59 GMT 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:33:17 +0100
Anders Lund <anders at alweb.dk> wrote:

> Presets would be nice, but I don't understand the desire to make it
> look like the preview jpeg in the raw file - that is very often
> suboptimal!

Maybe so! I shoot RAW+JPEG and, honest, I can't develop the RAW files
to anything like the JPEGs.

If you don't know anything about processing raw files
the first goal would be to get something that looks at least as good as
the jpeg from the camera. It's so much easier to do worse.

I've been trying on and off and I still can't match the jpegs from my
Olympus E-510. I suffer from the same problems as the good doctor's.

Deciding on a workflow is very important. I find ( so far )
that starting with White Balance is the best move. I'm still not sure
about the next one.

I don't want to exaggerate but each tool is so different that even on
that first step they don't necessarily produce the same thing. Even if
one takes into account subjectivity.

Truth is, it's a learning process that is made more difficult because
there so much subjectivity in evaluating what looks good.

Doc, just keep trying!

:-) And let us know the shortcuts! :-)

Regards
Philippe