[Digikam-users] re JPEG lossiness, PNG

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 22:50:31 GMT 2012

On 18/01/12 13:00, Peter Mc Donough wrote:
> Well, you should consider that each camera manufacturer seems to be
> proud of its own RAW format, which of course changes to reflect newer
> models, which, in turn, might produce an other problen in the future:
> What if the manufacture stopps producing cameras (who remembers Minolta
> ??) and doesn't support its RAW program any more?

It does not matter if the support is already in libraw or equivalent
open source code. Continued manufacturer support is irrelevant.

> Possible solution: Move to a non camera specific RAW format.
>
> Adobe offers a free RAW converter to its DNG RAW format, which might be
> solution as long as Adobe stays in business, and you have one format for
> all your cameras.
> Digikam can use it directly.
>
> Peter

If you have programs that can work with the original file format, and we
do, then you are always better off working with the original files.
Converting to DNG gains you absolutely nothing.

Andrew