[Digikam-users] re JPEG lossiness, PNG

Peter Mc Donough mcd-mail-lists at gmx.net
Wed Jan 18 23:28:36 GMT 2012

> > What if the manufacture stopps producing cameras (who
> > remembers Minolta ??) and doesn't support its RAW program any
> > more?
>
> It does not matter if the support is already in libraw or equivalent
> open source code. Continued manufacturer support is irrelevant.

True if you have an open source programm and someone willing to maintain
it over the years.

> > Possible solution: Move to a non camera specific RAW format.
> >
> If you have programs that can work with the original file format, and
> we do, then you are always better off working with the original
> files. Converting to DNG gains you absolutely nothing.

You speak of DCRAW, I suppose. I don't know anything about the inner
working of it, but with the tons of supported cameras, there surely is
one common output format for front-ends.

Well with DCRAW, my Olympus SP550uz is, my Olympus E-450 is (was) not
listed as supported.
With DNG-RAW no problem.

I would prefer a camera independent open source RAW format. I think
DCRAW could provide such a format, but probably cannot call it RAW
because of patent or trademark restrictions.

Peter