[Digikam-users] re JPEG lossiness, PNG

Peter Mc Donough mcd-mail-lists at gmx.net
Wed Jan 18 22:49:11 GMT 2012

> > Adobe offers a free RAW converter to its DNG RAW format, which
> > might be solution as long as Adobe stays in business, and you have
> > one format for all your cameras. Digikam can use it directly.
>
> If I recall correctly, dng has problems with maintaining meta data.

That shouldn't be a problem (I hope) if I set the converted DNG-RAWs to
read only and keep them as the new originals.

I intend leaving all meta data maintaining to digikam and those worked
on saved as PNGs and "finish" them as JPEGs.
Digikam, as it is set up on my computer, hasn't modified any of my RAW
photos, yet.
Gimp with Ufraw also works with DNG-RAWs.

BTW The Adobe DNGConverter version 6.5 works on my computer under wine
(opensuse 11.4 64bit, standard repository)

cu
Peter