[Digikam-users] tags/keywords between Adobe Lightroom and Digikam

jag59 jldeshpande at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 12:13:14 GMT 2012

Jim Dory-2 wrote

> A few versions of Digikam back, I was doing a lot of tagging. I either
> had tiff images from scans, jpegs from cheaper cameras, then CR2 files
> from Canon that I converted to DNG before tagging. When I got
> Lightroom, again a few versions back, it seemed to read all my tags
> fine. In Lightroom I can search all those tags (keywords in LR) just
> fine. But now (don't know if it is because of changes in newer
> versions of one or both these fine programs) neither recognizes the
> tags/keywords of the other no matter the image format.
>

> So at some point I may decide to work with just one of these programs
> but would like to make sure if I tag in one, I wouldn't then have to
> redo it all should I choose the other program. So this question is for
> my convenience, but perhaps if someone can help it will help others
> too. I did look back several pages in archives but didn't stumble upon
> the answer.
>
> cheers, Jim

This is not exactly an answer, but I would like to mention that---
Darktable is a Linux alternative for Lightroom. It is available only for
Linux. It uses sidecar .xmp, but yet I have not confirmed whether digiKam
reads properly the tags from darktable's sidecars. I am with DK 1.9 whereas
sidecar support in DK is in 2.x version, moreover I have read that it (the
sidecar support in DK) is going to be marked as 'experimental' presently.

Darktable developers are going to add 'area selection' tool shortly which
will improve it's functionality to a professional software.

Best luck.

-----
Jagdeesh Deshpande.
Registered Linux user #492893