[Digikam-users] Thumbnail creation and updating of thumbnail database etc.

Mark Hayes (Hotmail) mark_hayes_1973 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:13:30 GMT 2012

Hi,

A couple of days ago, all the thumbnails (and I mean ALL!) disappeared,
and along with it, a few of the tags I'd had in previously.

So I'm trying to get the thumbnails back - but it seems to not be an
easy thing to do.

If I right-click on a folder, and choose to rebuild the thumbnails - it
hangs, takes an awfully long time - and I cannot use Digikam in the
meantime.  Yesterday, I tried to rebuild the thumbs in a folder with
three pictures in it.  The first two times, I had to abandon it - and
abort the process.  Digikam hung, showing 0% completion, and I had to
agree to kill the process when KDE asked me...  (about 10 minutes later).

I tried again, and left it running overnight - but it still hadn't
finished when I came back from work tonight (some 20 hours later!)

Somehow now - I have two folders of thumbnails back - with about a total
of 150 thumbnails.  However, this is not quick, and a real PITA.  Not to
mention that it seems to need doing for each and every folder (and I
have a lot).  I still don't know if I'm doing this correctly, and I'm
sure that I really don't know how or what it going on! :-)

I'm trying again right now - and it's been running over 20 mins for
rebuilding 48 thumbnails - and still showing 0% complete.  Clicking on
Abort (the only option) gets me nothing at all.  CPU usage is static at
25% - but it really doesn't seem to be doing anything at all...

Please can someone explain to me:

1.  Why is it taking so long?  Should it?  Am I doing something wrong?
2.  How do I properly rebuild my thumbnails?
3.  Is there a way to rebuild missing thumbnails from the whole database
overnight whilst I sleep?  Or do I really need to do this one by one...?

And any other pointers that you might think useful about rebuilding the
database.

Many thanks,

Mark.