[Digikam-users] cannot play videos with kmplayer_part

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 19 14:49:18 BST 2012

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, Alois Wismer, Smart Systems GmbH wrote:

> With Digikam 1.2.0 (on KDE 4.4.5) I want to play embedded a movie (H264/AAC)
> in avi-format. With the default dragon_kpart I do not have audio. So I
> installed kmplayer_part and set it as default embedded video-player for
> avi-files in kde-system-settings. With Konqueror the movie will be played
> embedded with kmplayer_part, but Digikam still plays it with dragon_kpart!
> Even when I deinstall dragon_kpart, digikam still plays the video with
> dragon_kpart.
> How can I play videos in digikam embedded with kmplayer_part?
>
> Thanks for any information
>
> WeSee

Hello,

I'm really interested too in comments and hints about this issue.
I've never been able to play video files under DK (whichever versions,
I use both Digikam 1.2.0 and Digikam 2.2.0).

I'm aware my system installation has broken video players, but I don't
care because I only use the mplayer program, which works very fine.

Under KDE, I have no problems at all; my KDE Files associations are setup
to launch mplayer for all video formats, avi, wmv, mpeg, etc.
With KDE applications such as Dolphin, all is Ok, clicking on a video
file starts mplayer at once.
Under DK, no way. Clicking on a video file either shows a black window,
or in some cases freezes or crashes DK.

So :
- Which video player does DK use ?
- Is there a way to (re)configure that ?
- Is there a way to tell DK to respect KDE files associations ?

Thanks,
Jean-François