[Digikam-users] cannot play videos with kmplayer_part

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 15:54:28 BST 2012

Good topic. I've been meaning to ask about this since I recently got a
camera that does video, but I never gathered enough info to make an
intelligent start.

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Jean-François Rabasse
<jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, Alois Wismer, Smart Systems GmbH wrote:
>
>> With Digikam 1.2.0 (on KDE 4.4.5) I want to play embedded a movie
>> (H264/AAC) in avi-format. With the default dragon_kpart I do not have audio.

In my case, I get audio but no video in dk 2.5 on ubuntu (philip's
ppa). Only the kde packages that dk depends on are pulled in. KDE
dragonplayer is not installed. phonon and libphonon4 are the only kde
video related packages installed.

When start dk from command line and load an album containing videos, I
get some warnings about null thumbnails and the videos are not
thumnailed. I just tried installing each ffmpegthumbs, mplayerthumbs,
and kffmpegthumbnailer none of which made any difference. When I click
on a video, the embedded player seems to load and play, but the video
is just frozen to whatever was last displayed (i.e. the previous
image, or the thumbnails of the album) or is black. Audo plays, and
the position bar for the video progresses while audio is played. I
also just tried installing dragonplayer and restarting dk, no effect.
During playback, there is no output on the command line. It is almost
as if the embedded player is working, but not rendering the video.

Right clicking the movie in DK, "open with" defaults to totem which
plays the movies fine.