[Digikam-users] Some linux questions

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Thu Sep 29 10:21:30 BST 2011

Op 28-09-11 14:30, sleepless schreef:
> [...]
>> Op 28-09-11 05:05, Paul Verizzo schreef:
>>> I know this isn't about digiKam, but the fact is that I look on the
>>> folks in this list serve as being good, intelligent sources on linux
>>> matters.  Instead of posting to some generic Linux site and getting
>>> all kinds of answers from idiotic to disdaining and occasionally
>>> helpful, I'd like to ask your thoughts on the following questions.
>>> Please respond back channel paulv (you know what) paulv.net
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> The questions are,
>>>
>>> 1.  If I have a hard drive with a working linux distro on it, and I
>>> want the hd to have other distros in addition, do I need to have
>>> separate partitions for each distro?  What about the swap partition?
>>>
>>> 2.  I been using Thunderbird since forever and Netscape mail before
>>> that.  I have YEARS of archived emails based on Netscape/Thunderbird
>>> file types.  However, I have kept my TB version at like 2.6 because
>>> of the newer layouts wasting monitor space.  Redundant functions.
>>> I'm willing to poke around and look at email alternatives within
>>> Linux clients.  Ideally, easy to import Contacts and super--ideally,
>>> able to open Netscape/Tbird archived files.
>>> 3.  What about my Nokia phone?  I've been using the Nokia SW for
>>> years, changing with the phones over the years.  I'm presently using
>>> the Nokia E90 Communicator and I prefer the Nokia PC Suite over
>>> their monster Ovi for connecting the phone to my computer.  Once
>>> upon a time (Nokia 9000 series) recognized Outlook, Lotus Notes, and
>>> other PIMS, but it's down to Outlook.  All my contact info is in
>>> Outlook.  I know that I can pay $40 to get Outlook ported to Linux,
>>> and I'm willing to do that if I can have the non-Outlook functions
>>> that PC Suite gives me, i.e., managing images, making my phone a
>>> modem, etc. Thoughts?
>>>
>>> 3.b.  Related to the Outlook issue, I see I can get Outlook for
>>> Linux from Codeweavers for a nominal $40.  Any experiences?  Poking
>>> around the intertubes, I see there is the Virtual Box alternative, too.
>>>
>>> 4.  What about my Canon printers?  I have an iP4300 doing office
>>> type printing duty and from what I've dabbled, CUPS is fine for
>>> that.  But so many of the color/quality types of settings aren't
>>> available (unless I just didn't see the possibilities). I also have
>>> a Canon 9000 MK II wide format "pro" photo printer
>> Please keep me informed, I use the same printer, still on windows :-(((
>> Rinus
> I managed to install the printer driver  ¨easy photoprint ex¨on
> windows xp in VB which works fine. However if you want to use the
> ¨easy photoprint pro¨ you will have to install either photoshop or
> photoshop elements (which came with your printer) of which it is a
> plugin. In my case it says unfortunately ¨install exe is no valid win
> 32 executable¨, which is of course not true but it prevents me from
> installing it.
> If you want to try and need some specific details, ask.

To make the story complete. Even after so much investigation in VB it
can happen to install the wrong guest extensions. After correcting this
Elements installs and both canon drivers ¨ex¨ and ¨pro¨ works fine. The
avantage over dual boot is having access to digikam while printing from
elements. And after all, who should know better how to deal with this
printer than Canon does.
Have a nice day.
Rinus