[Digikam-users] Some linux questions

Sveinn í Felli sveinki at nett.is
Wed Sep 28 10:25:53 BST 2011

Hi,

Þann mið 28.sep 2011 03:05, skrifaði Paul Verizzo:

> The questions are,
>
> 1. If I have a hard drive with a working linux distro on it,
> and I want the hd to have other distros in addition, do I
> need to have separate partitions for each distro? What about
> the swap partition?

The swap partition can be used by all your Linux OS. I'd add
a separate partition for your data (pictures, documents and
stuff), you can use FAT32, NTFS or even ext3 (needs extra
software) to share it with Windows.

> 2. I been using Thunderbird since forever and Netscape mail
> before that. I have YEARS of archived emails based on
> Netscape/Thunderbird file types. However, I have kept my TB
> version at like 2.6 because of the newer layouts wasting
> monitor space. Redundant functions. I'm willing to poke
> around and look at email alternatives within Linux clients.
> Ideally, easy to import Contacts and super--ideally, able to
> open Netscape/Tbird archived files.

I keep my TB profile on my separate data partition and use
it across multiple OS's. For each user I edit the hidden
/.thunderbird/profiles.ini in the home folder:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=/path/to/thunderbird/default.profile

This way I have all my OS's use the same TB settings,
mailboxes and most extensions. I have to keep program
versions not too much apart.
You can instead extract the mailboxes/contact folders from
your profile and indicate TB where to find them, a bit more
work but safer if you want to test very different versions
of TB.

> 4. What about my Canon printers? I have an iP4300 doing
> office type printing duty and from what I've dabbled, CUPS
> is fine for that. But so many of the color/quality types of
> settings aren't available (unless I just didn't see the
> possibilities). I also have a Canon 9000 MK II wide format
> "pro" photo printer. That one, I need full control of. I've
> seen some Canon Linux drivers on searches, but it looks like
> another morass (swamp) of distro availability, compiling,
> etc. Please don't advise buying different printers!

I normally use the CUPS+Gutenprint drivers, they are much
more detailed than the plain ones. Your printer is at least
supported by CUPS for Mac and Gimp-print, so maybe CUPS for
Linux does as well.
One option is to buy a proprietary Turboprint driver
(http://www.turboprint.info/)for around 30 Euros, they are
really good quality. Canon PIXMA Pro9000 MK II is supported.
Trial version prints an ad in the middle of your images.

> For those of you following my foray into Linux, here is my
> conclusion: All OS's suck. In one way or another. I just had
> to reinstall Windows 7 onto my netbook because of fatal
> burps despite not much use. But when I try to install
> EasyPeasy Linux, designed for netbooks, issues. Won't
> install. Sigh. Jus' saying.
>
> Paul

Is the glass half-empty or half-full ?
Aren't all OS's wonderful ? In one way or another ?
(just teasing)

Best regards

Sveinn í Felli